Underground Residential Storage Tanks


Residential fuel oil tanks that have not been used for one year shall be removed from the ground or may be abandoned in place in a prescribed manner. 

An International Fire Code Permit is required from the Fire Marshal's Office in the Cities of Des Moines and Federal Way. 

Please call 253-946-7318 for additional information or to schedule an inspection.

Tanks shall be decommissioned in accordance with South King Fire Administrative Policy for Unused Residential Heating Oil Storage Tanks.

In unincorporated King County, it will be necessary to visit the King County Department of Development and Environmental Services website or contact them at 206-296-6600.

New Tank installation requires a construction permit through the city in which you reside.